Jobs & Wages
- Adventureland Team
- Job Opportunities
- Something for Everyone
- Adventureland Team Wages
- Internship Experience
The Adventureland Experience - Mixing FUN with Work!!
As an employee of Adventureland, you will become an integral part of Iowa's top vacation destination.. You'll spend your summer having FUN while working with nearly 800 individuals.
Adventureland Amusement Park is just East of Des Moines, right off of Interstate 80 Exit 142. Our guests enjoy over 100 rides, shows, and attractions, in addition to our watar park Adventure Bay.
Employee benefits include free park admission on select days, area business discounts and numerous fun activites.
Adventureland season runs from the last weekend in April through the last weekend of September. We have a wide variety of opportunities for you to consider, like these:
- Front Gate
- Must be able to accomplish a number of different jobs, including ticket selling, ticket taking, creating season passes, providing guests with park information, selling parking tickets and parking lot security. The requirements for a front gate employee are: strong math and computer skills, the ability to multi-task, work quickly and efficiently and not be intimidated by interaction with guests or large crowds.
- Foods Department
- Duties include taking food orders from guests, filling orders, accomplishing a cash transaction with or without a cash register, and preparation of food items. Lifting requirements include receiving and unpacking inventory and daily lifting of food items. Safety requirements include use of personal protective equipment for chemical hazards, proper safety attire and following all other company safety requirements.
- Games Department
- Duties include working in one of many games or arcades located throughout the park. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to cash handling, walking, standing, moderate lifting, prize issuance and player encouragement including microphone usage. Basic math skills and an outgoing personaliy are required. Games are located in both covered and uncovered facilities exposed to various weather elements. Employees should be prepared for a very active working environment with a high volume of guest interaction.
- Retail Department
- Duties include working in one of many souvenir shops or kiosks in the park. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to using cash registers and credit card machines, stocking stores, light cleaning, moderate lifting, standing and walking. Stores and kiosks include both indoor and outdoor facilities exposed to various weather conditions. Employees should be prepared for a fast paced, high volume and highly active retail environment.
- Rides Department
- Duties include operating and/or assisting on various amusement park rides. Responsibilities include not only operating rides, but also assisting guests during the loading and unloading process and ensuring guest safety. These positions involve being on your feet for extended periods of time, requires mobility and moderate lifting. You will be exposed to various weather conditions and have constant guest contact
- Live Entertainment*
- Costume Characters
- We will be interviewing for Costume Characters to entertain our guests in Adventureland Park's Bernie Bernard mascot costume and other "street performance" characters during the entire summer operating season.
- Sound Technicians
- Duties include running of sound mixer board for various shows and maintaining all audio related equipment throughout the complex. Past experience of this nature is preferred.
- Security/Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Duties include general first aid for park guests and employees, reuniting lost children with their families, and taking care of guest disturbances. There is a tremendous amount of walking in this department. Applicants must have a current "First Aid and Preparedness in the Workplace" and "CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers" certifications.
- Lifeguards and Water Staff
- Lifeguard Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring guest safety
- Maintaining high safety standards
- Maintain skills at a rescue-ready level at all times
- Exceptional guest service skills
- Assisting with tasks such as water safety, tubes, and line control
- Being audited at any time to establish skill level and attentiveness
- Having the physical stamina to be able to spend extended periods of time in all weather conditions and temperatures
- Must be a minimum of 16 years old for this position
- Must successfully complete a swim test and American Red Cross Lifeguard test taught on site, or hold a current American Red Cross Lifeguard or Shallow Water Attendant Certificate
Something for Everyone
Most positions require little or no experience. With a wide variety of jobs there is something for everyone. Positions involve being on your feet and remaining active while encountering the guest. We have positions that are indoors, semi-outdoors or completely outdoors. All positions are vital to developing the fun culture our guests have come to expect here when visiting Adventureland Park.
Adventureland Team Wages
Adventureland Team members wages are based on the following scale:
14 & 15 Years of Age
Turn your summer job at Adventureland into an Internship experience. Our Bank Department can work with you on the necessary requirements at your school to receive credit for an intership.
For additional information and application materials please call 515-266-2121, or you can fill out an application directly from this web site. If you wish to write, or to mail application materials please send to:Adventureland Park 305 34th Ave NW
Altoona, Iowa 50009
or fax to: (515) 266-9831.
Workampers should refer to the " Work & Camp " link for job applications.
If you are attending school check with your counseling/career services office for further information on our employment and application materials.